“I want to teach the next generation about our culture so that they are able to preserve it for the future. So that the next generation knows where they come from and where they are going”
Admission requirements for students wishing to enroll for one of the following degrees in Architecture:
MASTER OF ARCHITECTURE
(Code: MPAR18) 2 years (min) full time
MASTER OF ARCHITECTURE IN ARCHITECTURAL TECHNOLOGY
(Code: MAAT18) 2 years (min) full time
The TUT Department of Architecture educates professional architects and senior architectural technologists. All the courses presented at the department are accredited nationally by the South African Council for the Architectural Profession (SACAP) and internationally validated through the Canberra Accord.
Specialisation takes place during the master’s degree studies. There are two options available, namely Architectural Design or Architectural Technology. The design option allows eventual registration as a Professional Architect with SACAP.
With the technology option, the SACAP registration category remains unchanged as Senior Architectural Technologist, but the student will specialise in a specific area. This opens different possible fields with students becoming architectural office managers, architectural project managers, architectural communications media specialists, architectural IT specialists, green building specialists, BIM specialist, specialist in green technologies etc.
Intake for the qualification:
Selection requirements and process
1. The following students have to attend the selection interviews:
|Architecture (Design)||Architecture (Technology)|
|1. Architectural Design IV||1. Contract Documentation IV|
|2. Theory of Design IV||2. Construction Methods IV|
|3. Construction Materials IV||3. Construction Materials IV|
|4. Construction Methods IV|
|5. Principles of Urban Design IV|
2. TUT student who interrupted their 2-year Master’s degree studies have to attend the selection interviews. Admission to the second year will be subject to approval of a research topic by the Departmental Research and Innovation Committee (A_DRIC) and other relevant Faculty committees.
3. The interviews will take place at the Architecture Department, Building 11 of the TUT Pretoria West campus (accessible from Staatsartillerie Road).
4. The interview will last between 15-30 minutes. The exact time slot will be communicated at a later stage. For students not able to attend the interviews in person, Skype interviews could be arranged. (Please inform the Department timeously should you require this option).
5. The selection interviews take place in the December preceding the academic year for which the candidate is applying for.
6. A hardcopy of the following documentation has to be submitted at the reception desk of the Architecture Department (Building 11) at least a week before the scheduled interview:
– Undergraduate and/or post-graduate Design
– Undergraduate and/or post-graduate Theory
– Undergraduate and/or post-graduate Construction
– Practice work
7. Students will receive a letter of acceptance or rejection within a 10 working days of the interview selection process.
8. The University reserves the right to select the best candidates for this programme. The decision and/or recommendation of the selection panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
9. An information session is scheduled for ALL the selected post-graduate students in January of the academic year.
10. Please contact the department for information pertaining to the assessment. Information pertaining to the assessment is available on the department’s website: https://tutarchitecture.co.za/.